Skip navigation

Section navigation

Professional Admissions FAQ

My intended program isn’t in the drop-down menu within the institutional application system.

Links into the institutional application system are case-sensitive and specific to the program to which you are applying. If your program is not available in the dropdown, or no application type is available, it is likely that you have accessed an incorrect link to reach the application system or you copy pasted a link incorrectly. Also, please be sure to check that the application for your intended program has opened for the term and that the deadline for the intended term has not passed.

I'm a legal permanent resident. Do I follow domestic or international guidelines?

Legal permanent residents are oftentimes caught between processing policies for domestic and international students. Since students in this category are not in need of an I-20 or DS-2019, permanent residents should follow domestic deadlines. The Office of Admissions still encourages students who completed studies overseas to apply early since the review time may be longer when international credentials are involved. Permanent residents should expect the following:

I was never informed of a deadline or of the necessary documentation. What can I do?

All of the information necessary to successfully apply to UIC is included on our website, on the department's website and in the online applications.

Can I get a refund of my application fee?

As stated in the application, the application fee is nonrefundable. By submitting it, you agree that you understand the terms presented within the application. A cancellation or deny decision does not mean that no review was done. In fact, the instant you submit an application to us, a review is done. Before any decision is made (admit, cancel, or deny), a final review is made. In reality, no application goes un-reviewed.

If for some reason you submitted two payments for the application fee, you may request a refund by using our Contact Form. You may be asked to provide proof that two payments were made (e.g. copies of 2 cancelled checks, 2 payments made to UIC on a bank or credit card statement).

I was a UIC student. Do I need to obtain transcripts to submit with my application?

If applying through a CAS service, you may need to have UIC transcripts submitted to the CAS. Otherwise, the Office of Admissions will make a transcript of UIC coursework available to the department.

I sent my documents. Why aren't they posted to my account?

As most credentials for Professional applications will come through Centralized Application Services, receipt of your CAS application packet will be noted in your account after your CAS application is mailed and processed with your application record in our database. Institutional requirements not contained within the CAS record will be requested to be uploaded online through the application checklist.

Any paper materials received by the Office of Admissions during the application process may not be reflected in the checklist until the end of the cycle.

I have used different versions of my name. What should I do to ensure that all of my documents are matched with my application?

You should always use your full, legal name on all documents that you are submitting to UIC. Please include any alternate names in the space provided on the application. When possible, include your University Identification Number (UIN) on all documents. If you provided a different ordering or spelling of your name to ETS for GRE or TOEFL reporting, please provide this name to the Office of Admissions. You may email name changes or updates to us using the UIC Prospective Student Contact form.

I am applying for readmission. I submitted credentials when I was first admitted. Do I need to submit them again?

The Office of Admissions typically keeps the records of students who were admitted and registered for classes for several years. If you are applying for readmission, there is a chance that the documents you initially submitted are still on file. An admissions counselor will be able to verify if your old records are still here and if they can be used toward completing your new application. In some cases, you will be asked to re-submit credentials.

How can I get my documents (or copies of them) back?

All documents submitted to UIC become the property of the University. Documents will not be released to the applicant or forwarded to other institutions or agencies. Please do not submit your original or only set of academic credentials. No documents will be returned to you.

What does “official” transcripts/degree mean?

Official documents are those which have been issued by the university and bear an original attestation. In the United States, sealed transcripts issued directly from the Registrar's office are considered official. The university may issue transcripts directly to UIC or to the student. As long as the seal is not broken, the transcripts will be considered official. We will not accept transcripts or degrees printed off the web.

From foreign institutions, copies of original documents which have been attested by the Registrar or Controller of Examinations and sealed by the same individual will be considered as official. Each document should be attested.

My documents have been reviewed by the United States Educational Foundation (Education USA). Are these acceptable? Are they considered official?

UIC does not consider academic credentials which have passed through the hands of a third party as official. We may take these documents for processing purposes if they fulfill our requirements. However, in order for documents to be considered official, they always need to be submitted from the issuing university directly.

My documents are in a language other than English. What is an acceptable method for having them translated?

The Office of Admissions requires literal, certified translations for all documents issued in a language other than English. Translations should be on a translator's letterhead and should be literal (not an interpretation). We accept translations from ATA certified translators, court-appointed translators, or from the consulate. You may find an ATA translator at their web site: Plain translations, notarized translations, and translations done by someone other than a certified translator are not acceptable. Evaluations performed by agencies such as WES and ECE will not be used in place of certified translations.

How long will it take to get a decision?

The time it will take to receive an admission decision will vary by program. Some departments review applications as they arrive and make decisions on a daily basis. Others will have review committees which meet a few times during the admissions season and communicate recommendations to the Office of Admissions in a batch. Once your department has made its decision, they must still communicate the decision to our office so that the official admission decision can be recorded within the student system. If any institutional requirements are missing, they will need to be submitted before the decision can be applied.

As always, you will receive an early decision if you apply well before the deadline and submit a complete set of required materials in one packet to the correct office.

I received an admission letter from the program. Why haven't I been admitted?

Your academic department does not have the authority to officially admit you to the university. The letter you have received from them states their intention to recommend you for admission to the program. This recommendation must then be reviewed by the Office of Admissions. Please note that many Professional programs elect to maintain sole correspondence pertaining to admission and denial letters. Please refer to the program office with regard to your status as well as any pending documentation.

Why was I denied? What can I do now?

If you have received a deny decision based on review, you will need to contact your program directly for details regarding why your application was rejected. The Office of Admissions cannot provide specific reasons for the decision. The program may also be able to advise you on how to improve your profile to seek admission for a future term.

Why was my application cancelled?

Cancellations may be made by the Office of Admissions or by your academic program. Your application may have been cancelled for the following reasons:

I applied for admission, but was denied or unable to attend. I want to apply for a future term. Will you keep the documents that I already submitted?

The Office of Admissions will keep the credentials for denied and cancelled students and for those who chose not to attend UIC for one calendar year.

How do I register for classes?

Newly admitted students may access the my.UIC portal to activate their student accounts. The my.UIC portal contains all the information and links necessary to update personal information, register for classes, view and pay tuition, etc.

Students will be unable to register until the Office of Admissions officially enters their admission decision and a time ticket has been issued (typically the next day). Most new students are able to register during Open Registration times. Please consult the Office of the Registrar for further details.

How much is tuition?

Tuition and fees vary from year-to-year and are assessed per term per range of credit hours a student has registered for. For the most recent estimates, please go to:

I’m being charged out-of-state tuition, but believe I’m an Illinois resident. How can I change my residency status?

New students are notified of their residency status in their admission letter and can also view their residency status in the my.UIC portal. If you feel that you have been classified incorrectly or your residency status has changed since your date of admission, you will need to complete a Petition for Determination of Residency Status and submit it to the Office of the Registrar. Information on residency status and the residency petition form may be found at Please read through the regulations published there and carefully review all instructions when filing a petition. Deadlines do apply.

How can I change my mailing address?

If you are a newly admitted or currently enrolled student, your mailing address may be changed through the my.UIC portal.

If you are a current applicant, please submit address changes using our Contact Form

What is a TCN and how do I obtain it?

A TCN is a 9-digit Temporary Control Number that is issued to students who do not have or did not report a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN). Your TCN can be found at the top of your admit letter. If you provided an SSN, no TCN will be issued to you.

What is a United States Social Security Number (SSN) and when do I need to provide it?

A Social Security Number is a government issued identification number generally used for tracking working individuals for taxation purposes. An SSN is required for students who apply for federal financial aid or who are subject to IRS reporting requirements, but is not required for applicants or admission to the University. International students who do not have a SSN should not provide other national ID numbers in attempt to fully complete the application. Please see the Social Security Administration’s website for more complete details: