Skip navigation

Section navigation

Transfer FAQ [ Expand All ]

Before you apply || Application process
Supporting documents
Review process || Decision

Before You Apply

How do I submit an application?

Transfer applicants may apply via the Common Application or through UIC s website. Common Application users will be required to complete all components: the Common Application, UIC member questions, nonrefundable $50 application fee payment or waiver request, and in some cases, the Writing Supplement. Transfer applicants must also submit official transcripts from every college and university they have attended in order to complete their application. Please see the Transfer Admission Requirements and the Application Guide for more information.

Which colleges within UIC may I apply to?

Transfer applications are considered for the following colleges:

College of Applied Health Sciences
College of Architecture, Design and the Arts
College of Business Administration
College of Education
College of Engineering
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
College of Nursing
School of Public Health
College of Urban Planning & Public Affairs

Please keep in mind that students will only be able to submit ONE Common Application to UIC per year. For a list of degree programs within these colleges, please refer to the undergraduate degree programs and minors list: Degree Programs.

When should I apply?

Most of UIC s colleges consider Transfer applications for both the Fall and Spring terms. Final deadlines for all levels and types of applications can be found on the Deadlines page.

What are the minimum GPA and credit hour requirements?

There are no ACT/SAT requirements for transfer admission to UIC. For fullest consideration, a transfer grade point average of 2.50/4.00 on the basis of all transferable work attempted is recommended. Transcripts should illustrate a minimum of 24 semester or 36 quarter hours of transferable college classroom credit at the time of application. College and departmental requirements vary.

I currently reside in the United States, but I am not a citizen. Which citizenship category should I choose?

The residency choices on the Common Application include:

  • U.S. Citizen or U.S. National
  • U.S. Dual Citizen
  • U.S. Permanent Resident or Refugee
  • Other

U.S. Permanent Residents are required to upload a copy of their permanent resident card.
Undocumented students applying via the Common Application should choose "Other" for the Select Your Citizenship Status question and then choose the first option, "I do not hold a currently valid U.S. non-immigrant Visa", for the Currently Held United States Visa question.

UIC's Transfer Web Application has eight residency choices. Please note that First Year applicants must apply using the Common Application.

  1. U.S. Citizen - born or naturalized. Applicants who live in the U.S. but hold a Visa from another country should apply as International.
  2. International - an applicant who is a citizen or permanent resident alien of a country or political area other than the United States and who has a residence outside the United States to which he or she expects to return and either is, or proposes to be, a temporary alien in the United States for educational purposes. Any applicant who holds a VISA or who is a citizen or resident of any country other than the United States falls under the International Applicant category.
  3. U.S. Permanent Resident - must submit a copy of your permanent resident card
  4. Adjustment of Status - for those who have submitted an application for permanent residency
  5. Asylee - must submit documentation
  6. Refugee - must submit documentation
  7. Humanitarian Parolee
  8. Non-Citizen/Other - for undocumented students and any other applicants who do not fit into the above categories

For more information, please visit the Residency information page.

If I am not a U.S. citizen, can I still receive in-state tuition?

Yes, it is possible for permanent resident, international, adjustment in status, and non-citizen applicants to receive in-state tuition if they or a parent have resided in Illinois for at least 12 months prior to the term for which they are applying. Non-citizens should submit a Residency Affidavit, while all other citizenship categories should look into the Residency Petition.

What is a United States Social Security Number (SSN) and when do I need to provide it?

A Social Security Number is a government issued identification number generally used for tracking working individuals for taxation purposes. An SSN is required for students who apply for federal financial aid or who are subject to IRS reporting requirements, but is not required for applicants or admission to the University. International students who do not have a SSN should not provide other national ID numbers in attempt to fully complete the application. Please see the Social Security Administration’s website for more complete details:

What is the difference between a "First Year" applicant and a "Transfer" applicant?

A First Year applicant is either a current high school student or any other student who has never attended any college, university, or post-secondary institution. A transfer applicant is one who has attended any college or university since high school graduation.

What degree programs are offered at UIC?

There are many degree programs open to transfer students. If you are considering multiple majors, you may also apply to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences as "Undecided" and declare a major at a later point. Please see the Degree Programs for a full list of the programs available to UIC students.

Are there special requirements to complete my application for any programs/majors?

Most transfer applicants will only need to meet the general Transfer Requirements. The specific exceptions are as follows:

  • The Writing Supplement is also required for any applicants to the College of Architecture, Design, and the Arts and the College of Education. Some majors within the College of Architecture, Design, and the Arts also require an audition.
  • Any applicants who studied overseas during high school may be required to submit the TOEFL/IELTS exam. These situations will be considered on a case-by-case basis. When a TOEFL/IELTS exam is required, applicants will be subject to the same English Competency requirements as outlined in the Undergraduate International Admission Requirements.
  • The College of Engineering Computer Science major requires a minimum of 12 hours of lab sciences at the time of enrollment.
  • Suggested minimum GPA may change based on the college and/or program; those requirements are listed in the college specific admissions requirements.

See also:

My parents or siblings have attended UIC, will this be considered in the review process?

No, UIC does not consider legacies during the review process.

- back to top -

The Application Process

When is the application deadline?

Will I receive confirmation from UIC that my application has been received?

Yes, the Common Application will confirm submission of your application and the Writing Supplement (if required) immediately. UIC will also send a confirmation email to all applicants 3-5 days after receipt of your application that will include information about checking the status of your application online. Contact the Office of Admissions at 312.996.4350 if you thought you submitted the application but did not receive the acknowledgment email from UIC.

May I submit multiple applications?

No, students may submit only one application per term. Applicants who are unsure regarding which college or program in which they are most interested may apply to the College Liberal Arts and Sciences with an “Undeclared” major. Students may then declare a major within Liberal Arts and Sciences at a later time or complete an inter-college transfer.

- back to top -

Supporting Documents

How much is the application fee?

The transfer application fee is $50 for all domestic and international students. Some applicants may be eligible to have their fee waived.

How do I request an application fee waiver?

Transfer students must be able to display a $0 expected family contribution (EFC) through the FAFSA or receive public assistance to qualify for UIC's fee waiver form. This form must be authorized by a college counselor; financial aid officer; or social worker, and submitted by the application deadline for the term indicated. Final approval will be determined by the Office of Admissions and/or the Office of Financial Aid.

Is the ACT/SAT required?

No, neither the ACT nor SAT/SAT-I are required for transfer applicants. The proper credit will be given though if the scores are provided.

How will I know if my transcript, test scores, or additional documents have been received?

After applying you can use the WebID and PIN you established when beginning your application to check the status of your application and view your application checklist online. Those who apply via the Common Application will receive an acknowledgment email and directions for checking their application status within 3-5 business days of receipt of their application. A received date next to the request means that the document has been received. If there is no date, then the document is either still being processed, was never received, or was deemed unofficial. Please keep in mind that document processing may take up to two or three weeks, particularly around deadlines.

See also: Check Status

When is a transcript considered official?

In order for UIC to accept your transcript as official, it needs to come in a sealed envelope from the University or College. Your transcript may be mailed in a sealed envelope directly from your school or submitted through a secure online transcript service such as E-Script. UIC will accept hand-delivered transcripts at the Office of Admissions only if they are in an unopened envelope that was clearly sealed by the University or College.

I have attended multiple colleges. Do I need to submit official transcripts from each school?

UIC requires official transcripts from every college or university you have attended. This also applies to students who have studied overseas.

How will I know if I need to submit another transcript?

We will make a request in your application checklist, which can be viewed by checking your status online. Your application checklist will usually include a note regarding the institution or academic years that are being requested.

See also: Check Status

Are letters of recommendation considered?

Yes, UIC considers letters of recommendation a valuable insight into a student's character and ability in the classroom. Letters of recommendation, however, do not generally make up for students under-performing in key areas such as the GPA.

Why is the TOEFL/IELTS exam required for my application? What are the possible exemptions?

- back to top -

The Review Process

What does the review process entail?

UIC employs a holistic review process, taking everything in the application into account during the review. Transfer grades for all baccalaureate-oriented course work are used in computing the student’s transfer GPA. When a course is repeated, the grade point average is computed using both grades and all hours for the course. This GPA is looked at alongside the college specific required courses for admissions. The college specific minimum requirements can be viewed below.

College of Applied Health Sciences
College of Architecture, Design and the Arts
College of Business Administration
College of Education
College of Engineering
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
College of Nursing
School of Public Health
College of Urban Planning & Public Affairs

How can I check the status of my application?

You can log in to check the status of your application online with your WebID and PIN. The status of your application will be on the line marked, "Application Decision," but please keep in mind that a majority of the decisions are released after the March 31st deadline.

See also: Check Status

Does UIC interview applicants?

No, UIC does not interview general transfer applicants. However, some performance-based programs within the College of Architecture, Design and the Arts require auditions and College of Education applicants are often asked to interview for those more selective programs.

- back to top -

The Decision

When will a decision be made on my application?

A majority of the application decisions for fall transfer applicants will be released between the March deadline and the end of April. Decisions for spring transfer applicants are generally issued between October and November. A small percentage of applications will receive decisions during the initial review while most transfer applications undergo multiple reviews. UIC does not offer early decisions or a priority decision date for transfer applicants.

What does "Deferred Until Final Review" mean on my application decision?

This indicates that an application is awaiting another round of reviews. It is neither a good nor bad designation regarding the application because a majority of the transfer applications undergo multiple reviews. It is essentially a holding pattern for the file until we receive the exact admissions requirements from the specific colleges.

How will I be notified of the decision?

Decisions appear online as soon as they are made in the system and can be seen by checking your status online. A decision letter is also mailed out the day following the decision.

How can I request a decision letter be resent?

If you did not receive the decision letter through the mail, you may contact the Office of Admissions at 312-996-4350 to request another be mailed. Keep in mind that you can still view your decision by checking your status online. If you have been admitted, much of the same information in the mailed admit packet can also be found online at the Admitted Student's Checklist.

I have been admitted to UIC. What do I need to do next?

Your admissions packet provides step-by-step directions for completing your next steps towards enrollment. That same information can be found online at the Admitted Student's Checklist.

Admitted Student's Checklist

I have been denied admission. What are my options?

Consider applying for another term. Please be sure to submit updated copies of official transcripts. You always have the option to appeal the admission decision, in which more information can be found at the link below.

Appealing the Decision

Are there College-specific requirements?

Yes, the colleges at UIC have unique college specifics requirements for transfer students. All of those requirements can be seen at our admissions requirements page.

- back to top -