Skip navigation

Section navigation

Admitted First Year FAQ [ Expand All ]

I was admitted to UIC as a First Year student, what do I do next?

Your admissions packet details all of your next steps, including the activation of your NetID to establish your online portal access, signing up for placement tests and new student orientation, and information regarding financial aid and campus housing. The same information can be found online at the newly-admitted student's page.

Where do I sign up for placement tests, register for orientation, and submit my Intent to Enroll?

You can submit your Intent to Enroll, register for placement tests, and sign up for new student orientation through your online UIC portal access. Begin by activating your NetID (for directions, please see the newly-admitted student's page) and gaining access to your portal at Click on the UIC Connect tab, then "Pathways to Enrollment" in order to find the Intent to Enroll, placement tests, and orientation portlets.

Why am I unable to activate my NetID?

The NetID activation requires three items: your University ID number (UIN), your date of birth, and your Social Security Number (SSN). If you did not report your SSN on the application, then you should instead use the Temporary Control Number (TCN) listed on your decision letter. Please note that the SSN is required for any student seeking financial aid.

If you are unable to activate the NetID with the proper information, then your date of birth or SSN may be incorrect in our system. In this case, please contact the Office of Admissions at 312-996-4350 for instructions on how to have your information corrected.

When will I receive my financial aid award notification?

The Office of Financial Aid will need to have received your FAFSA information and must be able to connect that information with your application using your correct Social Security Number. Financial Aid will then contact admitted students via email when their award notification is available online, generally beginning in mid-March. If you do not hear from Financial Aid, you may contact that office directly at 312-996-3126 to check on the status of your notification.

If I am not a U.S. citizen, can I still receive in-state tuition?

Yes, it is possible for permanent resident, international, adjustment-in-status, and non-citizen applicants to receive in-state tuition if they or a parent have resided in Illinois for at least 12 months prior to the term for which they are applying. Further documentation is usually required. Non-citizens should visit the Forms & Documents page to download the “Residency Affidavit,” while all other citizenship categories should read the University of Illinois’ state residency eligibility requirements to determine if you qualify.

How and when do I apply for housing?

Campus Housing at UIC is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Students may submit housing applications online at any time, but the application will not be considered complete until they receive admission to the University. Housing's priority deadline is March 1st for the fall semester but applications are accepted throughout the year.

How and when should I submit my Intent to Enroll?

The Intent to Enroll deadline is May 1. Students may submit their Intent to Enroll (ITE) online through the UIC portal on the "Pathways to Enrollment" tab, mail the paper form included in their admissions packet, or fax the form to 312-996-2953. ITE forms sent through the mail must be postmarked by May 1. These delivery methods are acceptable whether you wish to accept the offer of admission or formally reject the offer, which will effectively cease email communications from campus programs.

How can I change my major?

Once a decision is reached on an application, the Office of Admissions can no longer change the major. At new student orientation, you will have the chance to meet with your academic advisor to discuss major changes or intercollege transfers.

I was admitted to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, may I change to a separate college, such as Engineering or Business?

No, once a decision is reached on an application, the Office of Admissions can no longer process a change of major. Your admissions decision was made specifically for the college to which you applied. If you are interested in changing colleges within UIC you will have to apply for an intercollege transfer, which generally requires at least one term of coursework be completed at UIC prior to applying. Students considering an intercollege transfer are advised to discuss such a change with their academic advisor when they meet at new student orientation.

When and how do I register for classes? When will I meet an academic advisor?

Your first contact with an academic advisor will come at new student orientation. You will register for your first semester courses during this meeting and have the opportunity to discuss all manner of academic questions with their advisor, such as planning for your educational track, changes to your major, or the application process for an intercollege transfer.

May I defer my admission to another term?

UIC does not generally defer admissions to a later term. Students who wish to petition for deferment may contact the Office of Admissions for further instructions at (312) 996-4350 or simply re-apply for a later term.

May I drop a class or change my high school schedule after being admitted to UIC?

In general, the answer is yes. As long as you are still going to meet your high school's graduation requirements, you do not need to receive permission from UIC for such a change. However, we do recommend that students refrain from dropping higher-level courses (honors/AP) in favor of lower-level courses.

top of page