Electronic Document Criteria
- PDF format is required. The file size limit is 5MB.
- Portfolio PDFs and secured PDFs which require a password to open are not compatible with our system.
- To limit file size, scan in the lowest resolution that results in a legible document.
- Documents comprised of multiple pages should be combined into a single PDF file.
Once uploaded, documents cannot be viewed or edited by applicants. Ensure that you are submitting the correct document for the specified checklist item.
If you do not have personal access to a scanner, many office service centers and public libraries may provide you access to one. Click this link to learn how you can save a document as a PDF file.
If you are a reference who has been asked to submit a letter of recommendation, please see our Reference Guide for Letters of Recommendation for the relevant information.
Application Checklist Overview
The Application Summary provides applicants with relevant information about their application record. Links to college and department websites are included for reference. The checklist at the bottom of the summary notes requested application materials, separated into two sections:
- The top Requirements section indicates the institutional requirements, which are requested and tracked by the Office of Admissions.
- The Additional Program Requirements section may include the following:
- Departmental requirements specific to your intended program
- Optional items for voluntary submission of additional materials
- OIS Financial Document requests for visa processing (International applicants only)
Monitoring the Status of Your Application
- A Received date indicates that the item has been received.
- Item Statuses will be noted as Received items are reviewed by Admissions or department staff.
- Item Statuses are not placed on items such as fees and official test scores.
- Requests for additional items may be added if submitted documents are insufficient or illegible.
Institutional requirements, such as academic credentials, will be enabled in your checklist after the Office of Admissions has surveyed your application information in order to request the necessary documents based on your profile. A brief notification will be emailed within a few days of application submission, once these have been made available, however, you may monitor your record to see when these are added.
- Academic Credentials* – Refer to the Admissions requirements pages for guidelines on acceptable uploaded credentials. Note that we do not accept web academic histories or degree audit reports obtained through student portals for application review purposes.
- Application Fee Waiver Documentation, such as a copy of an Illinois Veteran’s Grant letter, may be requested from those who select an applicable waiver.
- English Proficiency – Refer to our English Proficiency page for appropriate submission of English proficiency scores or waiver documentation.
Graduate non-degree applicants are asked to upload only a proof of degree, which may be a copy of a transcript on which the award of a degree is indicated or a copy of the degree certificate/diploma.
*The University of Illinois at Chicago reserves the right to request official credentials at any time during the admissions process if deemed necessary, and rescind any offer of admission made if discrepancies between unofficial and official credentials are found.
Applicants will not need to submit documentation for UIC coursework. UIC transcripts will be added to application records by the Office of Admissions for departmental use. Previously enrolled UIC Graduate degree-seeking students seeking readmission to the Graduate College will not need to re-submit credentials from their prior institutions.
Additional Program Requirements
It is important that you visit the department’s website for your intended program of study. Departments may have specific forms that they would like you to complete and upload, or a specific process for the submission of supplemental materials. If you have questions regarding departmental requirements contact information by program is available through the Program List.
These are a few examples of the types of requirements that departments may require:
- Writing Sample
- Statement of Purpose
- Supplemental Application
- Résumé/Curriculum Vitae
- GRE Test Scores
- If required, GRE scores must be reported officially through ETS using our Institutional Code 1851. Some programs have also enabled an upload link for an unofficial GRE Scores Report.
- Application for Graduate Appointment (pdf) This linked PDF form is issued by the Graduate College. Some programs may require use of their own form. Please refer to the program's instructions.
Letters of Recommendation
The application checklist will populate with the number of letters of recommendation required for your specific intended program of study. Not all graduate programs require letters of recommendation. Many require three, some may require only two, and others may not require any.
Applicants must access each of the Letter of Recommendation checklist items to indicate the email address of their reference. The reference will then receive an email requesting the submission of a letter. The checklist will update when the request has been sent and when the reference has submitted the letter.
Reference requests are sent from the email address email@example.com. You may ask your references to whitelist this address to ensure that they receive the message. If a reference indicates that he or she has not received the reference request, the message may have been marked as SPAM by their email service.
If you need to re-send a reference request to an existing reference, it is important that you use the same Recommendation Letter link when doing so. If a referee cannot or does not submit a letter of recommendation, you may access the Requirement link and indicate a new reference, as long as the Received date is not populated.
Applications may populate with one or more optional upload items which allow for the voluntary submission of additional documents not explicitly required by the program. These items do not count toward the complete or incomplete status of an application. Note that some programs may have chosen to not make optional upload items available.
OIS Financial Documents
Please refer to the Office of International Services website concerning submission of financial documents for visa processing (International applicants only). Note that submission of OIS documentation does not affect application review or admission and is not required until after an admission offer is extended.