Residency Status

Your residency status doesn’t play a role in the admission process, but it makes a big difference in calculating your tuition costs at UIC. 

Students who meet Illinois residency requirements pay an in-state tuition rate, while all nonresidents pay out-of-state tuition. Provided certain conditions are met, U.S. citizens, permanent residents, holders of certain types of visas, and noncitizens living in Illinois may be eligible for in-state tuition. For full details, view the University of Illinois Residency Status Requirements

Domestic Applicants

Residency status of U.S. citizens, U.S. dual citizens, permanent residents, and applicants with asylee, refugee, or humanitarian parole status is determined by the Office of Admissions based on information and documentation included within the application. Additional documentation such as certification of immigration status may be requested in some cases. 


Undocumented applicants, or noncitizens, living in Illinois may submit a residency affidavit to be considered for in-state tuition under 110 ILCS 305/7e-5, commonly referred to as the Acevedo Bill. The four affidavit questions are provided as part of UIC’s undergraduate application and will be considered in place of the physical affidavit form. The affidavit form may still be submitted separate from the application to the UIC contact listed on the form. Visit the Resources for Undocumented Students page for more information. 


Student veterans using the Post-9/11 GI Bill are eligible for in-state tuition. View more information concerning this state law and contact Veteran Affairs to take advantage of your benefits.

International Applicants

International applicants with certain types of visas may be eligible for in-state tuition if they are a resident of Illinois and meet the applicable requirements of these residency regulations. The Office of International Services provides more information for international applicants.

Residency Status and Re-evaluation

Residency status is noted on official admission letters and within the student portal at the time Intent to Enroll decisions are requested. Admitted students who are not initially granted in-state tuition but believe they qualify may submit the Petition for Determination of Residency Status to have their residency re-evaluated by the Office of the Registrar.