Residency for Tuition Purposes

Your residency status doesn’t play a role in the admission process, but it will be used to determine your tuition costs.

Residency Status 

Residency status is noted on official admission letters and within the student portal at the time Intent to Enroll decisions are requested. Students who meet Illinois residency requirements pay an in-state tuition rate, while all nonresidents pay out-of-state tuition. Provided certain conditions are met, U.S. citizens, U.S. dual citizens, permanent residents, holders of certain types of visas, applicants with asylee, refugee, or humanitarian parole status, and noncitizens living in Illinois may be eligible for in-state tuition. For full details, view the University of Illinois Residency Status Requirements


Student veterans using the Post-9/11 GI Bill are eligible for in-state tuition. View more information concerning House Bill 2353 (Public Act 98-0306) and contact Veteran Affairs to take advantage of your benefits.

Undocumented Applicants

Undocumented applicants, or noncitizens, living in Illinois may submit a residency affidavit to be considered for in-state tuition under 110 ILCS 305/7e-5, commonly referred to as the Acevedo Bill. The four affidavit questions are provided as part of UIC’s undergraduate application and will be considered in place of the physical affidavit form. The affidavit form may still be submitted separately from the application to the UIC contact listed on the form. Visit the Resources for Undocumented Students page for more information. 

International Applicants

International applicants with certain types of visas may be eligible for in-state tuition if they are a resident of Illinois and meet the applicable requirements of these residency regulations. The Office of International Services provides more information for international applicants.


Admitted students who are not initially granted in-state tuition but believe they qualify may submit the Petition for Determination of Residency Status to have their residency re-evaluated by the Office of the Registrar. 

Frequently Asked Questions

I’m not an Illinois resident. How can I become a resident for tuition purposes?

If you’re a dependent, your family must live in or move to Illinois. The in-state tuition rate would begin at the start of the next term. If you’re not a dependent, you must live in Illinois for 1 full year for non-educational purposes. This means that you can’t attend school during the year you’re establishing residency.

What if my parents are divorced and one parent lives in Illinois?

As long as 1 parent is a bona fide resident of Illinois, you’ll pay in-state tuition. This is true even if the parent living outside of Illinois is actually your main source of financial support.

What if my parents move out of Illinois?

Once you’re admitted as a resident student, you’ll continue to qualify for in-state tuition provided you maintain continuous enrollment for the fall and spring terms and live in Illinois during that time. Returning to your parents’ home outside of Illinois for the summer only won’t jeopardize your in-state tuition.

What if my grandparents, aunt, uncle, sibling, etc. are Illinois residents?

Residency for in-state tuition can only be claimed through a parent, spouse, or legal guardian.

What if my parent(s) own property in Illinois but don’t live in Illinois?

You’re not eligible for in-state tuition.

What if I’ll be enrolling with an F-1 Visa?

You’re not eligible for in-state tuition.

What if I’m an international student who has applied for permanent resident status in the United States?

As long as you hold a temporary visa, you don’t qualify for in-state tuition. However, when you receive federal notification that your status for permanent residency has been approved, you may start the period of establishment of residency for in-state tuition. Notification that your application has been received isn’t sufficient.

What if I’m an asylee, parolee, or refugee, or have other extenuating circumstances?

If you can answer "Yes" to the following questions on the application, you may be eligible for in-state tuition. If you've already submitted your application, you may submit a residency affidavit:


  • Did you reside with your parents while attending a public or private high school in Illinois?
  • Did you or will you graduate from a public or private high school in Illinois?
  • Did you or will you attend school in Illinois for at least 3 years as of the date you graduated from high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma?
  • If you’re not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, will you provide the University of Illinois with an affidavit stating that you’ll file an application to become a permanent resident of the United States at your earliest opportunity?